Friday 23 January 2015

Getting Braces

Posted by Lucy at 12:47
Getting braces can be a nerve-racking experience, but, take it from me, it's really not as bad as you'd think. Yesterday, I was both anxious and excited to finally have them fitted.

In case you're worried about getting braces (or simply interested), read on to find out exactly what it's like:

 Once comfortably seated in the dental chair, the orthodontist applied a small amount of liquid conditioner to each tooth, using a tiny brush. After it had set, he put brackets on all my upper teeth. Then, he shone a special light on the brackets to set them in place. Next, he attached a wire to the grooves in the brackets before securing the wire in place with tiny elastics (these bits are changed monthly by your orthodontist). You'll be pleased to know, the process only took half an hour and it's wasn't painful in the slightest.

It's best to steer clear of hard, chewy sweets and fizzy drinks. After getting braces, you're teeth will be tender and it's likely you'll find it hard to eat at all, so opt for soft foods like pasta. Smoothies are a good idea too as they involve no chewing whatsoever. Take a tooth brush to school/work and clean your teeth after every meal. Also, make sure to take an inter-dental brush too to clean behind the wire.

I'm not going to lie to you, braces ache... a lot. At first, they were absolutely fine, but when I woke up this morning, they killed. I barely ate all day! Hopefully, the discomfort should be gone in a few days, but meanwhile I'll just have to live with it because I know the end result will be well and truly worth it!

Lucy x

3 comments:

Olivia said...

I can't wait to get braces- and get them off again! Just want to get it over with to be honest, I'm glad you posted this, it makes me feel better about getting them!

http://thelittlebluesailboat.blogspot.co.uk/

Unknown said...

I have to get braces soon so this really helped! - I had no idea how they were put on x

lilacfumes.blogspot.com x

gup said...

I'm actually planning on getting braces this September! I was supposed to get it when I was 15 with the NHS (I'm 19 now) but their waiting list was 3 years long and I wouldn't be able to get it for free then. So now I have to get it independent and pay £3k, I'm super excited for the results though as my smile makes me so unhappy and I can't wait to have perfect straight teeth!

http://www.cuddlemex.blogspot.co.uk/

Post a Comment

 

Little Miss Blogtastic Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review